Monday, August 24, 2009

A Miserable Surprise!

Jared hates birthdays. He even hates my birthday. I love birthdays. I think all birthdays should be celebrated for at least two days. My kids always seem to have celebrations spaced out over a couple of days. This is because I am in charge of all that planning. I am lucky to be told "Happy Birthday" once on my actual birthday by Jared. Every year I tell him that once I get the birthday I want, he will get the birthday celebration he wants, which is nothing! BORING! This year he must have thought he got off pretty easy from us. Nothing big. A few gifts and we went out to dinner. Lucky Jared, or so he thought.

I planned a "Surprise Miserable" party for him two weeks after his birthday. The plan was to enjoy things he hates with a group of friends and family. It turned out to be a blast, even though Jared hated everything we did! Keeping things a surprise went better than I thought, until the day of the party. Ainsley told him at lunch time that "Jenny was having a party at the restaurant and he was invited." Somehow that comment was never acknowledged by him. He knew we were going to Golden Corral (his least favorite place to eat) because our friend Rachel wanted to go on a date and she was really craving Golden Corral. Later that afternoon John from Golden Corral called and wanted to talk to me about my party reservation for that evening. Of course Jared answered the phone. As I talked to John I was panicking. Jared was right there listening to my end of the conversation. After John hung up I said into the phone that I wasn't interested. I couldn't look Jared in the face as I explained John was trying to convince me to come to a free dinner so I could listen to his time share info. Jared kept asking questions, and said something was fishy, but he finally let it go.

We finally made it to Golden Corral. We walked into the reserved room where everyone was waiting and he was still pretty clueless. He said his only thought was how did friend Andrew know brother Seth because they were sitting by each other. Then everyone yelled "Surprise!" We all laughed because he was still so shocked. I think that what surprised him more were some of the outfits people were wearing. It was hilarious to see what some people came up with. My friend Jenny helped a few of us dress up. She spent hours at the DI finding just the right seventies outfits.
After pigging out at Golden Corral some of us went Cosmic Bowling. Jared hates bowling because I usually beat him! And what bowling game is complete without some dancing on tables? We laughed so hard together! I think that even though Jared hated everything we did he had a great time with everyone who was there! (Sorry that I didn't get pictures of everyone who was at dinner.)
Just so you know Jared....I expect a good birthday next year or your next birthday will be celebrated even bigger!


10 comments:

Rachel said...

You did a great job planning that Misty! Happy Birthday again, Jared

Kirsten said...

that is too funny. good for you!

aLi said...

No way, you are friends with Erin used to be Hamp???!!! She grew up in South Weber! She was in my ward! She was one of the awesome Laurels when I was starting out in YW! I saw her face on your slideshow. I just clicked on your bloglist on Erin and saw her picture and that confirmed her identity to me. Way cool!!! You may have already known this... I don't know. But I love their family! And my whole family loves their family! So cool!

Oh... and your party confirms my suspicions that you guys HAVE WAY TOO MUCH FUN!!! Ooooh I am jealous! but thanks for posting about your good times! I love it!

Jodi said...

I'm sad we missed out on the bowling, but the dinner was fun! Jared's face was awesome, when we yelled suprise! Way to go Misty, you always know how to have fun!

Misty said...

Ali, your mom and I had already figured out the connection. Erin is still way too cool.

Did you get my email?

Alan Anderson said...

I think you did a great job with the surprise party - he was definitely surprised!! Thanks for the fun evening and happy birthday Jared!

aLi said...

I got your e-mail and I sent you an invite today. E-mail me again if it didn't get to you.

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

Misty, Misty, Misty! You ARE WAY TOO COOL!!!! And you married MR. COOL! And you DEFINITELY have COOL friends! I can tell you had a WAY COOL fun time!!! Yup, I, too, was tickled to see Miss Erin H. in your pics. I KNOW THAT GIRL!!! And everything Ali said is true!

Love! Jane

Anonymous said...

We are really on a roll with having fun partys... Jodi Lala's.....Jareds..... Seriously. Some of the BEST NIGHTS EVER.

You did a great job with the party.
Thank you for not posting any pictures of me from the rear!! :)

Remember when Greg tried to throw me a surprise party?? Maybe you shouldnt ask Jared for anything of that sort... maybe a gift card so we can do something fun!! :)

What will we do next month??

Doyle Family said...

You are so clever! Way to show Jared. Your birthday is going to be awesome, it better be!