Jared left me this weekend. He said it was something about needing more testosterone from the mountains. Maybe he left because I had offered to watch five extra kids over night. I have to admit, I was a little nervous about being a single parent to nine kids. But guess what: we all survived! The kids were great!!! They all played together, slept wonderfully (I actually got more sleep than I do any normal night), ate all their food (I even included a fruit with dinner) and they cleaned when asked. The wiggle bikes kept us all entertained for hours, even 15 month old Olivia. My nephew became our tribal chief (I will have to include pictures of that later...I am too lazy to put them on the computer right now.) I do have to say, I was a little nervous when the power flickered this morning...how would I keep them all entertained inside with no TV all day? Luckily, it did only flicker, and the rain stopped so they could play outside some more. Thank goodness for garages to play in, and good old fashioned fort building. I think fort building must be a special event saved only for when a babysitter is around. I can remember my cousin Jeni babysitting us and building the most awesome forts.
The kids all lived until their moms came to pick them up. It was my own kid who suffered an injury. Ainsley fell down the stairs and broke her thumb/hand Friday night. Being the great MOM that I am I gave her some Tylenol, and took everyone to the playground. (Note: I said MOM, not BABYSITTER. If it was anyone else's kid I would have taken them to the doctor sooner.) She was playing just fine, so obviously her hand was all right. However, the next morning it was really swollen and purple. After arranging for some awesome young women to come help Emily watch the other seven kids, I finally took Ainsley to the doctor. Sure enough, the doctor is pretty sure the bone at the base of her thumb is broke. Something about weird bone shapes makes him have a little doubt about the fracture. Needless to say, she did live through all this, so...we all survived!
Only 20ish more hours till Jared comes home. Hopefully we stay in the survived category!
4 comments:
wow. 9 kids by yourself? that is brave. I'm a single mom 50-75% of the time, but four has always been my max. poor Ainsley. I hope she's feeling better.
Good job, Misty!!! You are so roll-with-the-punches anyway. I'm sorry about Ainsley!!!! That's gotta hurt. It's amazing how kids can be distracted by other kids (and from being outside) even though they're miserable.
You go girl! Nine kids, by yourself. That is very brave of you. Sorry to hear about Ainsley's hand. Hope it feels better soon!
Oh, I FEEL for you!! Many moons ago, when your mom went to the hospital to have Kelly, you and Casey came and stayed with us and our five kids. Do you remember? In the meantime, we had promised Boyd and Dianne we would watch their three while they went to Boise or somewhere. AND Mom and Dad aka Grandma and Grandpa Call were out of town and unable to help.
I only had ten kids...one more than you. Scott didn't go to the Uintahs. He just built a fire in the backyard and hung out there by himself... said it was just too much. I have teeny moments of bitterness about that still. I need to take lessons from you and understand they have their limitations too!!! You are the BOMB!!!
Congrats to Ainsley! Tommy broke his thumb when he was about that age. He lost his thumb brace conveniently (he told me years later) because he hated the brace so much! I think his thumb still works okay today, tho!
How do they make it to adulthood? I think there are more angels watching over them than we can even imagine! LOVE YOU, MISTY!!! Jane
Post a Comment