Monday at noon I get a phone call. Noticing it was from the school I figured one of the kids must be out of lunch money. Instead of one of my kids, it is one of the school secretaries. She starts by telling me there was an incident in the lunch line at school. My first reaction (sorry Tyler), is what did he do? The secretary has never called before, the kids usually call when they are sick. She then proceeded to tell me that Emily passed out, and then quickly told me that they caught her, but she had been out cold. Anyway, she was pretty woozy, and could I come get her? When I asked why she passed out the secretary said that another girl had a seizure while in the lunch line.
When I got to the school Emily was sitting on the couch surrounded by teachers and a paramedic. They had got her a juice to drink and she was still white as a sheet.
Emily was serving lunch that day when somebody yelled "She is having a seizure." Emily looked right in front of her, saw it, and promptly felt yucky so she sat down with her head between her knees. After a few minutes she felt OK so she got up to go back to her class. She didn't make it out of the kitchen. Luckily the secretary saw her falling and caught her.(The secretary was in the lunch room to tell the kids they could go out to recess because the school had just got off a semi-lockdown status). Then the secretary found out about the girl with the seizure. 911 was called, and the students were sent back to class until they got both girls to the office. The seizure stopped (the girl has epilepsy), and Emily nearly passed out again while walking to the office. The poor girls!
Emily has passed out before at the sight of something yucky. She knows that if she cuts herself to instantly sit down. This hasn't happened for a year, so we were hoping she had outgrown the whole passing out stage, but obviously not. Luckily she is aware of this, and can usually avoid passing out. I guess the seizure was a little more traumatic to Emily. What a way to get attention at school!
January 2020
6 years ago
5 comments:
Woa. I witnessed a girl have a seizure in a class in high school and I can attest to the fact that it is pretty scary. Ironically, I haven't ever witnessed someone really pass out... I think if one of my kids did it I would be terrified!
oh poor poor weak stomached emily. I feel her pain.
Poor Em...
Whew!!! I think she has some Grandma LaJean genes! She was the queen of passing out...I remember at least one time when she was talking on the phone in Boise to Aunt Neola. She was pregnant with Lisa, and whoop, toppled right over. It was a bit scary.
The only seizure I saw was in a fast food line in a mall in Chicago and this adult kid just plopped right down. I SOOOO wanted to help him. But there is nothing to be done. Just call 911.
Hang on, Miss Emily. Think happy thoughts! love, Jane
thanks you guys i get really queasy. if i cut my finger on a potato peeler or a cheese grader(though its already been done numerous times)i just plop myself right down and put my head in between my knees. i think i get it from my dad he gets really queasy at puke and i get it even worse. i love you guys em
Post a Comment