Monday, March 23, 2009

Living the Vida Loca

I haven't blogged lately so here is an update as to everything going on in our lives......

Our fence fell down in a windstorm. Our redneck neighbor decided to fix the fence. This is his solution:

I am not sure if the new fence is there to keep his 120 pound Labrador inside his yard, or my energetic son out of his yard. Jared was frustrated with me one day because I want a wood fence and he wants vinyl. This was how he took out his frustrations. What a dork!



Emily finished up her play last week....HALLELUJAH! The students did an awesome job! They performed "Cinderella's Glass Slipper" downtown at the Rose Wagner Theatre. They rehearsed or performed every day in March except Sundays. Last Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were their performances. Emily's hair had to be curled and styled and full make-up and be downtown at 6:00 (4:00 on Monday).




The costume designer kept changing her mind about Emily's costume so I kept having to resew things. Lucky for me, Emily's good friend Savanna, our neighbor, was in the play too. It made things easier to have a buddy to walk home from rehearsal with so I didn't have to pick her up every night. Plus, Jenny, (Vanna's stepmom), me and the girls had several fun hours spent together in the bathroom to get the girls all beautiful for dress rehearsals and performances. A funny story: on opening night Emily saw her cousin right before the play started and took off running to hug her. She didn't notice the metal bench in front of her. She tripped over it and landed right on her face. All I could envision was a broken bone that would prevent her from being in the play.... all that practicing for nothing. Luckily after a short sit down to make sure she didn't pass out, she was OK. The show must go on!
For some reason I don't have a picture of her in her ball gown (Jenny, can I borrow your SD card?), but this is her and Vanna in their peasant costumes.

Ainsley fell flat on her face last week also. She bumped her one front tooth that was already injured from a fall last May that knocked one tooth out. The dentist made us come in for x-rays, and luckily the tooth looks OK for now. Hopefully it doesn't turn black!


Jared stepped on something one night. He was sure it was an earring post. We both spent a long time digging in his heel to get the splinter out. We tried everything, but all we could get were little chunks of what looked like lead out of his foot. The next day (my birthday) we still couldn't get the splinter out. He ended up going to an urgent care doctor who basically performed surgery to get out a 1/4 inch piece of mechanical pencil lead. Mechanical pencil lead breaks so easily...how could it get into Jared's tough foot skin? He has stitches and an antibiotic. CRAZY!! This is something that could only happen to Jared.


Yesterday at the Draper Temple Dedication, just as President Monson started talking, Emily got a bloody nose. All we had with us were our white hankies. Of course she couldn't use one of these. She ran out to the bathroom, cleaned up, and made it back in time for the actual dedication.


We painted a kitchen wall red several years ago, but have never been pleased with the finish on the wall. Jared got a wild hair to repaint the wall, and have it retextured because of the damage from previous home owners. He called me from the paint store to get the color code for the same red. Somehow he misunderstood a letter and came home with fuchsia paint! Not a color I want in the kitchen! A friend of ours was able to sell the fuchsia paint to someone who wanted some purple in their basement. Good for them. After a week of mess and chaos in the kitchen, the wall is the right shade of red and looks lovely!
One night last week I woke up at 4am to hear a cat meowing outside our window. I thought it was calling our cat Herbie, so I found Herbie and put him on the windowsill. The stray cat kept meowing like crazy. Finally Jared went out to scare the stray. Instead of scaring it, it ran towards him and the back door. Herbie and the stray hissed at each other through the sliding glass door for quite some time. Everytime Jared tried to open the door the stray tried to get in. We locked Herbie up to see if the cat would go away. By this time, the stray is clawing at our door and meowing to come in. Finally Jared was able to open the door enough to throw some water at it. It took off running, but we heard it meowing for awhile longer. Herbie spent all of the next day at all the windows looking for his new friend.

This week still to do (by Thursday): Get the van inspected and registered, frantically help Emily finish a queen size quilt and a fleece blanket to take to the Hopis on Thursday, plan an activity for Young Women's tomorrow, go visiting teaching, grocery shop so we can eat, etc....
And you wonder why our blog is called the Funny Farm!

7 comments:

Jeni said...

Wow wow wow! You've been busy. How fun for Em and the play! I would have loved to see a fuchsia kitchen :), and yes, only jared would get pencil lead stuck in his foot. poor poor jared.

Unknown said...

Wow isn't Jared Wonderful.
Misty did all this with almost a smile modt of the time;there was some touchy times i just stayed away,but all in all she keeps us going as a family.

Kim-the-girl said...

Its lucky Emily didn't pass out when she got the bloody nose... Jared must have recently had a pedicure? Too funny.

Unknown said...

Could this entry have been any longer? I do like Jared's fence.

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

Just laughing at the FUNNY FARM!!! From the cat to Jared's lead, to face plants....ahhhh, Life is Beautiful!

Thanks for the GREAT update, Miss Misty! You are a FAVORITE!!! love, Jane

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

oh...and the fuchsia kitchen (what a weird word and spelling...fuchsia)

AND....who is the grown up girl posing as Emily? love, Jane

Unknown said...

Misty - I will comment to your comment on my blog on your blog where I am sure you will see and read it. Concerning my blog and if people actually read it. It would seem that you did. If you did not then maybe you should as you may learn something. Yes my blog is not a cute site by design and not one full of fluff (also by design), but mine is where I put stuff that both entertains me and interests me. Do people read mine? I have no idea, but I had a great time putting stuff up there. Thanks and I hope Jared got is iPod synced with music so he does not have to sign to himself all day tomorrow.