Thursday, February 12, 2009

Addicted

They say the first step to overcoming addiction is to admit it. I have become addicted to TV. Ever since we got a DVR and upgraded to "real" cable a month ago, I watch TV everyday, sometimes for hours at a time. Since we moved the TV downstairs this summer, our TV watching time dropped drastically. Now I have all these new shows to watch when it is convenient for me (unfortunately, not when it is convenient for my house cleaning).

My favorite show currently is Jon and Kate plus Eight. I hate the show, but it keeps sucking me in. I can't stop watching it. Kate annoys me, but their life is fascinating to me. I wish I had the willpower to just turn it off. Even my kids are tired of watching it with me. I keep telling myself I have watched about half of their episodes, so if I can just catch up then I will only have one episode a week to keep up on. UUGGGHHHH!!!

On another note, if you need to upgrade for the digital change next week, Comcast has a reception package for $15 a month. It includes all your local channels, plus Discovery, History, and Travel. Tyler called this our fake cable. It worked for us for a long time, but I finally needed a DVR.

Can I blame the DVR need on our callings? With all the nights Jared and I are at the church, we needed to record our shows, right???

9 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

I was just thinking that having a TV would probably be better than what we do... we just watch our shows online when its convenient. If I only had a TV then I wouldn't "have" to watch all those shows, I'd be just fine without them. I know what you mean about catching up on a show. I've been having the same conversation with myself about Fringe.

Jeni said...

Right. The DVR is a miracle.

Rachel said...

You are just so efficient at everything, why no be efficient at watching tv too?? Yay to no commercials! (Or at least to fast forwarding through them). Eventually I was able to break from John and Kate so there is hope for you too!

Erin said...

Misty.. I also really enjoy watching John and Kate plus 8... what is it about that show that sucks you in??? You're awesome... keep it up! :)

aLi said...

We love our Dish DVR! It sucks me in, too. And I always hate it afterwards. Oh well! I'll get over it. :)

ha! my word verification is
"cousip"

like, "hello Misty is my cousip, er, um, cousin."

I know you're just laughing so hard right now! :P

Alan Anderson said...

Hey nothing wrong with being addicted to DVR. We fought it for so long just like you did and we caved in too - but we love it and don't know how we ever survived before. Besides it's great when you are feeding a baby - there is always something available to watch - but I wonder why it takes two hours to feed Carter now - ha!ha!

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

Oh, Misty, you are just so cute!!! I have had so many addictions, somebody even named a band after them!

I used to plan lunch and nap time for the kids, so that I could eat MY lunch while watching my favorite soap. I gave it up when I started to have faux pregnancy symptoms just like Kathy on General Hospital. She wanted a baby so bad, she created a fake pregnancy in her mind.

A couple of months later, I found out my pregnancy was not faux. We named him Ethan.

You gotta LOVE that DVR!!! It makes living easier! love, Jane

Jodi said...

Thankfully I have cut the Jon and Kate cord. Now: Chuck. Love it! When you feel you're ready, give me a call and I'll talk you through abandoning the sextuplet show. :)

Mrs. Lundgreen said...

Right! You are totally justified. I watch too much too. I don't know if I could go without a DVR now that I have one!. I can't stand Jon and Kate plus 8 but it's the only thing to watch at the Gym and it sucks me in too!