I know, I am only 32, and I am not a movie star by any means, but I had a face lift last Thursday. Okay, not a real and complete face lift, but something along those lines. I had a non-cancerous lump under my ear that would keep growing if it wasn't removed. The lump was in my saliva gland. Because all the nerves and muscles to your face run through this area, the doctor had to do a surgery similar to a face lift to carefully remove the tumor. I am grateful he did this because I enjoy smiling and blinking, just some of the things these muscles help me do.
Don't I look so happy to be at the doctor the next day?
I had mentally prepared myself for pain, but not numbness. I still can't feel parts of my face, or my entire right ear. I have a four inch incision that is just starting to itch. The long surgery and recovery kicked my butt, and I spent four days after surgery not doing anything but laying around. (Too bad I wasn't more coherent so I could enjoy myself those days).
In case you are considering a face lift someday, let my try to dissuade you. Here are my reasons for not having facial plastic surgery:
*I still can't open my mouth very far, I have to shove my food in my mouth to make it fit.
*The drainage tube with bloody goo in it is GROSS!
*I couldn't shower for three days with my lovely bandage on my head.
*I think it will be weeks until I can wear earrings again.
*Because I am very right-eared while talking on the phone, I can't talk on the phone and do something else. My left shoulder muscles just won't hold the phone up. FYI: My right ear must have callouses on it for the phone....my left ear hurts when I hold the phone up to it for too long. Is this normal, or do I talk on the phone too much?
*My face is still a little swollen, and bruises are creeping up (at least the darkest ones are under my chin)
*Real moms don't get the same recovery/take it easy time that Hollywood stars get.
*I have to keep my hair pulled back so it doesn't itch my incision, which then scares anyone who comes near me.
*Dried blood is very hard to clean out of a swollen ear canal.
*I felt like I had an ear infection for six days straight....my poor kids who have had ear troubles...I have an whole new empathy for them.
*Talking wears you out when you have to think about making your numb lips move for four days.
*My top lip is very chapped because I can't reach to wipe the bottom lip's chapstick on it (my lips just don't move like that right now), and I keep forgetting to swipe the chapstick across my top lip also.
The incision is one solid line that goes behind my ear lobe also.
I do wish my tumor was found in about twenty years, when I could consider a face lift at the same time. Now I don't think I would go through this again even for my vanity!!!!!!


9 comments:
I need a facelift but I don't have any hair to hide the scar line. Best of luck for a quick and comfortable recovery! Jared had better be waiting on you hand and foot!
I am sorry, Misty! It sounds awful.
I'm also sorry if Glenn does ANYTHING with your first picture! ;)
OUCH!! That doesn't look fun at all!! I'm sorry! I hope you're back to normal soon!
Woa! That is so horrible to have to endure! Good luck with the recovery!
Wow! You are a trooper! I had no idea about your cyst! I hope you get feeling better soon.
Holy COW, Misty!!! You are the winner of the "Wound of the Week" Award!!! That is really something! I know I am gruesome, but I really found your comments fascinating. I would have loved to the the "suctioner" during your surgery! (I got to do it once during a tonscillectomy...it was SO COOL!)
A friend of ours is a plastic surgeon. He once explained in detail a face lift. NOT on my list! I've decided I just need to keep a perpetual smile on my face to lift the "jowls".
I hope you feel mucho better soon!!! That is sad that you had 4 days off and couldn't enjoy it. sniff, sniff.
Thanks for this fascinating post! And get better!!! love, Jane
Correction: I would love to BE the suctioner...Gracious, I found two other BLATANT typos in my comments and missed this. I better not comment after school job, and school class! love again! Jane
You'll have to come up with a really great story for your scar....You were snowboarding in the Alps and while you were trying to save a little kid from a bear it clawed at you and got you on the ear but never fear you and the kid made it safety.....something like that.
you are always beautiful to me!! And through this whole thing, you KEPT A SMILE ON YOUR FACE!! (or at least a half smile... )
I am just glad that you were able to keep up on your hygiene through this whole mess. What does that say about me...????
Post a Comment