
Two years ago we went to Glenn and Lance's for dinner and Temple Square. I mentioned to them that if they ever went to Guatemala again to please buy me a corn husk nativity. I told them if theirs ever disappeared to come look at my house. I loved it because it is so unique. I collect nativities. Glenn has given me several and I love the ethnic variety of them. The day after Christmas Glenn and Lance appeared on our doorstep with a package for us. I was so surprised when I opened it and it was the corn husk nativity. Lance said that to them it was just a nativity, but to me it was something special. I cried of course. Since them I am always so excited to get it out. This year I had to move it off the piano into the curio cabinet because the cat was also interested in it. This nativity reminds me not only of Christ's birth, but the thoughtfulness and generosity of some people. Thank you Glenn and Lance for this special decoration! Did you buy another one in Guatemala?
A few years ago I only used nativities to decorate our house for Christmas (besides the tree) in an effort to not have so much extra "stuff" out. I loved the feel of it and have continued every year since. I have two of the Fisher Price Little People nativities; one for me and one for my kids. Last year I bought an embroidered sign that says "Children Need a Stable Background." It has a Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus on it too. I love to have these reminders of the real reason for Christmas surrounding me. Too often I get stressed and not take time to reflect on our Savior's birth. Sometimes I will just sit and look at my nativities to ponder and relax.
I love this time of year. Not only for all the joy and visiting, but for the special meaning of the birth of our Savior!
4 comments:
Oh, Misty...how poignant. I want to decorate with nativities and the real meaning of Christmas. I LOVE the STABLE environment. Perfect! Thanks for a very seasonal thoughtful post. love, JTA
They are so kind! What a special gift. I think that the nativity decorating is such a GREAT idea! We don't really decorate at all, so this I could really get into!
What a beautiful story. And what a beautiful nativity.
soooooo special.
Thank-YOU, Misty! Hope the cat doesn't get the corn husk nativity, they don't make them anymore. When Jeni and family came over Cade counted 36 nativities in the house. I think we need to build more shelves for them.
Post a Comment