

Wow...I may be becoming an adult afterall. I canned peaches yesterday by myself!!! I haven't canned any fruit for at least 20 years! I only had to call Debbie 5 or 6 times. While driving through WIllard the other day I talked myself out of stopping at 20 different fruit stands. Finally I gave in (if I could have held out one minute longer I would have been past all the fruit stands.) One day this summer when we were at Grandma Call's she gave each of the kids a jar of peaches. They excitedly ate the first three jars in three days. Tyler wanted to save his for the first day of school. We kept it on the kitchen counter for at least a month.
Tyler wanted to know why I couldn't buy him some peaches like these. I kind of thought it might be fun to try to can. I gave in and bought a bushel of beautiful peaches. I also had to buy quart jars- these aren't anything I own for myself. I was so excited to get started. The first batch took forever, but then I had the hang of it. Three water baths later I had 20 quarts of peaches. They weren't nearly as pretty as Grandma's, but hopefully they will taste just the same.
When I brought the first batch inside ( I had to water bath them on the grill) I admit I cried! They looked so pretty! When the first jar sealed (popped) I jumped for joy. The kids all sat at the table and listened for more popping. We were all so excited to count that they had all sealed. Maybe next I will attempt some yummy Jane salsa!
10 comments:
YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of you!!! Both for the peaches AND the blog!! Nice work! I think you can link to my blog from here... if not, we are at ohsweetchilds.blogspot.com.
Lots of love,
Jenny
P.S. I came over tonight to see if you wanted to go to IKEA with me, but you were not home. You will have to come see what I got!
I think these are truly two signs of the millenium, Misty canned fruit and started a blog! Congratulations! And GREAT pictures of the family! (By the way, I'm doing pears tomorrow if you want to come over and help.)
Yeah!!! It is about time that you jumped on the bandwagon! It will be fun to be able to keep up with yall!
Yeah! I am very proud of you to can by yourself-I am not brave enough to do that! I can barely handle canning with 4 adults helping! I am excited you blogged, now I can see your cute family (in pics anyway) more often!
I am so jealous of your peaches! They are beautiful! I have issues with canning.
I am so jealous of your peaches too! We aren't able to access all that delightful produce here.
Welcome to the blogging world, though. It will be so fun to keep up with your family! I can't believe how big your kids are!
Glenn will you please post your pictures of your pears on your blog. Oh wait this is Misty's blog. Hey Misty will you ask Glenn to post his pear pictures on his blog?
Misty, so sorry my husband is a dork. Beautiful peaches!
Raegan, maybe you should get your own blog and post your own pictures of your own pears!
So I nearly started to cry when I read you cried when you brought your jars inside!!! You are something else! I LOVE it that your kids are excited about your canned peaches! And I think they look absolutely beautiful! Congratulations!
Watch out Utah State Fair. Misty is on her way!!!
Love, AUntie J.
Post a Comment