I have had a cheap pay as you go cell phone for years. We have literally had the same number for about ten years now. Recently, because of school events, we felt it was time for Em to move past her own pay as you go emergency cell phone, to a real plan. You know, the kind that comes with a monthly bill. The kind that gives you unlimited texts. The kind that you can chose a "free" cool phone to go with it. My kids were always embarrassed by the dinosaur cell phone that we used. I did lots of research before signing a plan. Which company, how many minutes, all that kind of stuff. Then I ran out of minutes, and Emily was asking for a cell phone for her birthday. I broke down and signed the papers. You know, the ones that say I owe them money every month for the next MANY years. At the time, the add a line feature was on sale. A no brainer really. Add Lizzie a phone now for the same price it would cost to add her a phone in a year when she goes to junior high. Plus that guaranteed that when Tyler needed a phone some day his would be cheaper too. We were planning for the future! :)
Because this was a surprise for Emily, I picked out the three "free" cool phones. She wanted a touch screen, but I didn't know what I wanted. I picked out two touch screens, and a slide phone. Then I could try a a touch and a slide to see which I liked better. I fell in love with the touch. I could text because it had a full keyboard! (Lizzie has the slide, and loves to use it occasionally) "No, we don't need the insurance." If the girls ruin or lose their phones we still have the dinosaur that they can use. It would be their own fault, right?
Fast forward four months. I took my pants off and carried them right to the wash. I never check pockets. I have never had a reason too. Until, ten minutes later when I remembered my phone was in my pocket. I fished it out of the wash and stuck it in rice. We left it there for days (after I removed my SIM card) I had to use the dinosaur. It was horrible. I am not talented enough to use that number pad for texting. So slow. I am an old dog who does not like new tricks. The dinosaur just wasn't my new "free" cool phone. But, I told myself I needed to live with the consequences like my girls would have. After about 72 hours of this however, I was done. I am a mom dangit, and if I can justify an expense, I deserve it, right? I searched on line and in a few stores (one salesperson told me that at least I have a clean phone. That was not funny), and finally found a new touch screen phone that I could justify buying. The way I look at it, I did my three girls a favor. Emily and Lizzie won't have to buy themselves a new phone if they lose theirs; they can use the dinosaur. And Ainsley got a new CLEAN pretend phone!
Anyway, long story short: always check pants pockets when you put things in the wash!
7 comments:
amazingly enough, i have yet to wash a phone. (knock on wood) and I'm so proud of you for joining the 21st century.
Love it! I have a hard time remembering to check pockets too, but my phone is usually in my hand. :)
Memories...I washed Chad's phone on his wedding day. Not good! Lisa
I wish I had a dollar for every electronic device I washed! Good thing you were able to find you a decent replacement phone. I am on the hunt for a new phone in like 3 weeks. I want a snazzy one like Lizzy's. Better luck with the new phone!!!!
Congratulations on being the shining example for your kids! I am SO PROUD of you!!! TOO FUNNY!!! I am excited because mine takes pictures. But I don't know what to do with them afterwards.
Love, Jane
I'm just excited that you finally blogged something, 3 months and 4 days is a long time. Serously, I glad to know that you are a little like me in doing stupid things, on the bright side you will only do it once, cause you are going to check everyone's pockets religously now. Love ya Mom
Don't go thinking this will be the only time. I've dropped two phones into the Great Salt Lake and washed another with a hose in Guatemala. Cell phones and water must have an attraction to each other.
Post a Comment