Monday, February 1, 2010

Continued Tradition

I can remember having a tooth fairy pillow that my mom made me. It was pink and had a little pocket for me to leave my tooth in, and the tooth fairy to leave some coins in. I loved having that special pillow. I was always worried for my friends who just put their tooth under their pillow. How could the tooth fairy find it? What if you were a wiggly sleeper and your tooth fell on the floor?
When we discovered Emily's first loose tooth we made a big deal about finding just the right fabric to make a tooth fairy pillow. Hers had to be pink Barbie fabric shaped like a heart. Man I struggled to sew the lace into a heart shaped pillow. She was six when the dentist had to help her with her first TWO teeth on the same day.

Lizzie's tooth fairy pillow HAD to be sparkly blue shaped like a diamond. Her first tooth came out when she was six. Two days later she made Jared sit with her until he had the other tooth out. It took 45 minutes of pulling and twisting. She was so insistent about it coming out that night.


Tyler's teeth don't like to come out. He was seven years old when his first tooth finally came out. It took quite some time for the other tooth to come out. He still has only lost five teeth. I think we have years until he can get braces. Of course, his pillow had to be BYU!

When Ainsley knocked out her first tooth 1 1/2 years ago, I debated about what to do for a tooth fairy pillow. I would have only had a few hours to shop and sew. Jared had just had surgery, so I was a little stressed to begin with. Plus, she would probably pick some baby fabric, and then we would be stuck with that forever. I opted to wait till she was a little older for her pillow.
A few weeks ago we discovered Ainsley's first loose teeth and began the hunt for just the right fabric. Ainsley's HAD to be pink sparkly, but it could be shaped like a circle. (I talked her out of the heart shape.) Last Saturday morning she showed me her teeth and I was able to pull the first one. The next day the second tooth came out. Two teeth in two days and she is five!

I love their tooth fairy pillows! And just think, they have been used 47 times, with only 33 to go!

5 comments:

Kirsten said...

47 times! holey moley! what a good mom. I had a heart shaped strawberry shortcake pillow, but it never occurred to me to get my kids a pillow. not that I could sew to save my life or anything...

Denice said...

I'm so glad you carried on the tradition Misty. Your kids and my grandkids have the cutest toothless smiles I have ever see. Was your pillow heart shaped???? I don't remember

Kim-the-girl said...

What a fun idea! I'm totally going to steal it (I hope that's OK). Bryant turns 7 next month and still hasn't shown any signs of loose teeth, I think he was worried about it for a little while, but he's over it for now. As a side question, I'm just curious when did your kids GET teeth? I've heard that if they get them later they lose them later and vice versa, but I don't know if I buy that...

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

Oh, Misty! What a conscientious and thoughtful Mom you are!!! And DEDICATED to sew all FOUR pillows and not just pass a little tiny pocket pillow along!!!

I like your tradition.

Love, Jane

Alan Anderson said...

Thanks for sharing your tradition with me as well - Ashleigh loves her tooth fairy pillow. Not that she ever lets the tooth fairy come - but someday she may be willing to part with those teeth!